Bruce Melville has dedicated his career to navigating the intricacies of property rights, becoming one of British Columbia’s foremost counsel when it comes to expropriation law and related real estate issues. With a career spanning several decades, Bruce has also gained extensive experience with property law issues such as trespass, nuisance, easements, and statutory rights of way.
Throughout his career, Bruce has represented a diverse range of clients, including both property owners and expropriating authorities. His comprehensive understanding of the legal landscape surrounding real estate matters has made him a sought-after advocate in the legal community.
Bruce’s career is marked not only by his legal prowess but also by his dedication to the development and dissemination of legal knowledge. For instance, in 2000, Bruce established the Expropriation Law Centre website (expropriation.ca), a platform aimed at providing valuable resources and insights into the complex realm of expropriation law. Serving as the webmaster, Bruce has been instrumental in creating a hub for legal information and fostering a community of professionals interested in this field.
Having practiced with esteemed law firms in Vancouver and Surrey for many years, Bruce joined Hamilton Duncan as associate counsel in early 2024 along with his colleagues from Peterson Stark Scott, further enriching the firm with his commitment to delivering exceptional legal services and to remaining a leading figure in expropriation law and real estate matters.
- Cost recovery under the B.C. Tariff, Expropriation Law Centre
- Expropriation of Security Interests, Expropriation Law Centre
- Loss of Access, Expropriation Law Centre
- Regulatory Takings in Canada, Expropriation Law Centre
- Statutory rights of way in British Columbia, Expropriation Law Centre
- Indian Reserves and Indian Treaty Problems in Northeastern British Columbia, 1981
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia, 1981 – Present
- Founding Director, British Columbia Expropriation Association
- Member, Alberta Expropriation Association
- Member, Ontario Expropriation Association
- Guest Speaker, Canadian Real Estate Association Conference
- Guest Speaker, Canadian Expropriation Conferences
- Lecturer, Municipal Administration Program, Capilano University
- Media Commentator, Expropriation and Land Compensation Topics