Scottie is a long-time resident of Surrey and the Fraser Valley and a respected figure in the legal community, particularly in family law, where he has practiced exclusively for over 30 years.
Scottie’s journey prior to becoming a lawyer at age 35 is replete with diverse experiences, including work in construction, education and counselling. For instance, before entering the legal profession, Scottie’s passion for education led him to a career as a teacher and educator, with a focus on adult education, criminology, and criminal justice. Additionally, he worked as a counselor, showcasing a dedication to understanding and helping individuals navigate through various life challenges, a dedication that he continues to exhibit in his practice today.
Scottie commenced his legal career as a solicitor, primarily dealing with real estate, land development, and corporate/commercial matters, but later turned towards civil litigation, where he developed a strong interest in family law matters, which became his sole focus. He now has extensive experience and training in collaborative family law – emphasizing a cooperative and non–adversarial approach to dispute resolution – and holds accreditations as a mediator, arbitrator and parenting coordinator.
Scottie’s mission is to facilitate a swift and cost-effective resolution of family law matters while always prioritizing the well-being of the children involved. He firmly believes that, whenever possible, family law matters, especially those related to children, are best resolved outside the courtroom. His role is to guide clients through alternative dispute resolution processes, drawing upon his well-honed skills in family law to help them achieve their goals. However, if court intervention becomes necessary, Scottie and the Hamilton Duncan family law team stand ready to provide thoughtful, effective, and client-focused representation in court and family law arbitrations.
As a name partner of Peterson Stark Scott, Scottie was the senior family law partner, leading and mentoring a team of family lawyers. With that firm joining forces with Hamilton Duncan in early 2024, Scottie now continues his dedication to family law as associate counsel, helping clients to obtain the best resolutions for their unique family law issues.
In his personal life, Scottie is a proud father of three adult sons and embraces the role of “Papa” to his five grandchildren. He is an avid baseball fan and supporter of the Blue Jays, Mariners, and Canadians.
- Accredited by Law Society of BC as Family Law Mediator, Family Law Arbitrator & Parenting Coordinator
- Collaborative Family Lawyer
- Family Dispute Resolution Professional
- BC Parenting Coordinators Roster Society Charter, Member, since 2009
- BC Parenting Coordinators Roster Society Charter, Director, since 2014
- Collaborative Divorce Vancouver, Since Inception
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals, since 2007
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, since 2004
- BC Hear the Child Society, since 2009
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Canadian Bar Association
- Past BC Representative, CBA – National Family Law Section
- Past Co-Chairperson, CBA – Westminster Family Law Section
- CBA – Family Law Section
- Surrey Bar Association
- Guest Instructor, Family Law – Law Society of BC Professional Legal Training Course
- Instructor and Coach in Family Law, Mediation Training, and Screening for Family Violence, Continuing Legal Education Society of BC (Annually)
- Guest Speaker, CBA-BC Family Law Sections
- Softball Coach, Special Olympics, Surrey B.C.
- BC Minor Baseball Association Builder Honour Roll
- Newton Canadian Baseball Association Appreciation Award
- Past President, Newton Canadian Baseball Association
- Past President, BC Baseball Umpires Association
- Past Director, Surrey Amateur Baseball Association
- Past, Baseball Canada Level 3 National Umpire