Gurminder is a trial lawyer specializing in commercial, family and insurance litigation. He is known for being a steady hand under pressure and enjoys working closely with clients to distill complex issues. Clients value Gurminder’s experience as he proactively assesses cases early, seeing if there’s a likelihood of a favourable and cost-effective resolution, or where necessary, a need to see matters through trial. Gurminder’s recent cases included:
- Achieving a six figure resolution for a physician before the BC Human Rights Tribunal.
- Drafting a $15 million net worth marriage agreement.
- Representing a corporation in family law litigation.
- Acting for a developer in REDMA litigation.
- Representing a construction company with a multi-million dollar contract dispute.
- Advising owners on property, trespass and easement issues.
- Defending a severe traumatic brain injury case at trial for a private insurer.
- Litigating successfully a ‘no negligence’ defence at trial involving a motorcyclist.
- Defending allegations of early onset schizophrenia caused by accident related brain injury.
- Negotiating resolution of an insurance claim by a totally disabled physician.
Gurminder has prepared and presented articles on civil litigation throughout his career. His peers elected him to multiple terms on CBA Provincial Council and appointed him to various CBA BC Committees, including the Provincial Court Judicial Advisory Committee. In 2021, Gurminder was elected as Bencher of the Law Society of British Columbia and appointed by the Minister of Justice to the BC Federal Judicial Advisory Committee.
- PLTC, Course Material re: Civil Litigation (2019, 2021)
- Submissions on behalf Canadian Bar Association (BC) to BC Supreme Court Rules Revision Committee re: Audiotaping IMEs (December 2014)
- Submissions on behalf of Canadian Bar Association (BC) to BC Utilities Commission re: ICBC Rates (2013-2014)
- The BC Broker, “The Road Less Travelled” (June 2005)
- CLE, Part 7 Benefits (March 2003)
- BC Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Manual, Chapter on Defences (December 2002)
- CLE Commercial Litigation for Legal Support Staff, “Security for Costs” (March 2000)
- Law Society of BC
- Canadian Bar Association (BC)
- Surrey Bar Association
- South Asian Bar Association (BC)
- Member, Federal Judicial Advisory Committee (2021-Present)
- Member, Provincial Judicial Advisory Committee (2011-2021)
- Volunteer, CBA Practice Advisory Panel (2012-Present)
- Law Student Mentor, Thompson Rivers University (2011-2020)
- Volunteer Judge, PLTC Mock Civil Trial & Chambers Practice (2003-2013)
- CBA Sections: Insurance, ADR & Legal Research (Executive 2015-2020; Chair 2017-2019)
- Member CBA Awards Committee (2018-2019)
- Elected Member, CBA BC Provincial Council (2008-2011, 2016-2019)
- Member CBA BarTalk Editorial Committee (2004-2008, 2015-2016)
- Volunteer Lawyer, Salvation Army Pro Bono Clinic (2001-2012)
- CBA BC Certificate of Appreciation (2011)
- Member CBA Automobile Insurance Committee (2011-2018)
- Secretary/Executive, South Asian Bar Association (BC) (2008-2010)
- Member South Association Bar Association (BC) Scholarship Committee (2009)
- Co-chair, South Asian Bar Association 2nd Annual Fall Conference (2009)
- Volunteer Lawyer, Law Students’ Legal Advice Program (2001-2008)